Jeffrey R. Escobar, Esq. is Counsel in the New York office of Chadbourne & Parke LLP. Concentrating on real estate development and construction transactions and practices, Mr. Escobar advises real estate companies, joint ventures, institutional owners, closely-held developers, lenders, investors, sponsors, project companies and private equity funds across the US and throughout the Americas on their financing and deployment of capital on complex and large-scale projects. Applying a deep sense of practicality and business acumen to support clients in the successful completion and delivery of projects across the country and abroad, Mr. Escobar provides clients with key insight and in-depth knowledge into every stage of project real estate development and construction. Focusing on the development and construction of commercial real estate and project financed ventures, as well as energy, infrastructure, transportation and renewable energy projects, Mr. Escobar has led hundreds of large and complex vertical and horizontal projects and a wide range of energy, infrastructure, and commercial real estate projects throughout the Americas — from the construction of a professional sports stadium and the only aerial commuter tramway system in the country in New York City to the development and construction of large luxury apartment communities in Los Angeles County and energy facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.
Specializing in the negotiation, structuring, drafting and documenting of complex non-traditional project financed, design, engineering procurement and construction transactions representing both institutional and private clients, Mr. Escobar’s practices also involves advising clients on the successful structuring, negotiating and drafting of real estate joint venture and development agreements, development management agreements, property and asset management agreements and project management agreements for an array of real estate development projects. Consistently since 2014, Mr. Escobar has been honored as a New York Rising Star in real estate construction and development, and he continues to be a well-recognized member of the construction and development community, serving on the New York City Bar Association’s Construction Law Committee as co-chair of its CLE Subcommittee and speaking at various engagements, including the New York City Bar’s annual “Construction Contracts 101” and “Construction Contracts 201” series, and has drafted leading articles including “How ‘Exacting’ Must an Indemnification Clause of a Contract Be to Entitle a Prevailing Party to Attorney’s Fees?” (NYSBA: Inside, Fall 2011, Vol. 20, No. 2), as well as “Does preparatory site work, such as clearing or grading, constitute commencement of construction for purposes of lien priority?: The dangers of failing to file a notice of lending and when a contractor’s mechanic’s lien takes priority over a construction loan mortgage” (Lexology USA, January 27, 2015). Mr. Escobar is also a committed advocate for responsible community development, serving on New York City’s Manhattan Community Board 8 as an appointed board member by the Manhattan Borough President and chairing its Roosevelt Island-Cornell Technion Task Force tasked with the community approval and management of the construction and development of the Cornell Tech NYC Graduate School and campus.
• Provided key landmark advice to developer client on the legal ability and viability to use modular means and methods to construct the country’s tallest modular tower at the Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn, New York.
• Structured and negotiated the development of the Baccarat Hotel & Residences in Manhattan, New York, including the provision of development and construction practices advice.
• Led, structured, negotiated and advised client on construction license agreements for the construction of the Tower Verre otherwise known as the MoMA Tower in New York City.
• Served as construction counsel to the owner of a professional Major League Soccer team in the development and construction of stadium, training facility, administrative and executive offices, including the mediation and negotiated settlement of various construction management, subcontract claims and lien foreclosure, averting possibleproject shutdown and failure of development.
• Acted as construction legal adviser to country’s largest Real Estate Investment Trust, reviewing all development and construction contracts and agreements for all new client developments nationwide, including providing legal advice and counsel as to transaction and potential client exposure to potential liability and industry best practices.
• Provided legal counsel and risk management guidance to large New York developer of a luxury residence at a Long Island City project, including advisory as to use of union labor versus non-union labor and crane operation requirements.
• Spearheaded and provided legal counsel to the development and construction of a contentious multi-hundred-million-dollar assisted living senior community and rehabilitation center in Boca Raton, Florida. Advise the world’s largest luxury-residential developer in its joint venture and partnership with an international hotel group in the construction and development of a luxury lodge, spa and residential complex in Breckenridge, Colorado.
• Successfully acted as US legal counsel to foreign design-build client in the construction of Roosevelt Island commuter aerial tramway system from project procurement and bid to the negotiation and administration of project’s contracts.
• Acted as lead counsel to the construction of the Battery Park Ferry Terminal, including loss recovery efforts from Port Authority and builder under OCIP policies for failures to properly complete topside work.
• Led global real estate developer in its construction financing, development and construction of a high-rise luxury tower, hotel and retail spaces consisting of 150 residential units in downtown Dallas, Texas.
• Spearheaded the development and construction by one of the country’s largest private developers of a luxury retail shopping, entertainment and hotel complex in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
• Advised publicly-traded healthcare company in its joint venture development with a public university in its acquisition and development of a medical care campus and hospital in Houston metropolitan area.
• Acted as development counsel to a publicly-traded health care REIT in its procurement and redevelopment of a portfolio of medical care offices and facilities assets throughout Connecticut, including the ground-up acquisition and construction of two medical campuses.
• Provided real estate construction counsel to a prominent New York developer in its construction and development of luxury residential towers in Austin, Texas and downtown Milwaukee, Minnesota.
• Represented an internationally prominent, privately-held bank in the underwriting of a public-private partnership development of a 500,000 square foot entertainment complex and venue in Charlotte, North Carolina.
• Advised publicly-traded, S&P 500 healthcare company in its acquisition, development, construction and operation of medical care facilities, buildings, campuses and hospitals across the country, including its joint venture development with a large Japanese financial conglomerate and private equity firm of a portfolio of luxury senior and assisted living communities.
• Guided a foreign joint venture in its acquisition, development and construction of a 100-acre automobile manufacturing facility, commercial complex and distribution center in New Braunfels, Texas.
• Served as development legal advisor to one of the country’s largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in its rebranding, management and redevelopment of its hospitality CapEx and PIP assets nationwide.
• Negotiated, prepared and oversaw administration of construction and development contracts for multinational corporate client in the construction of their new global headquarters and offices at marquee location in Times Square.
• Served as construction legal counsel to international luxury retailer in its design, engineering, construction and development of its retail, operations and commercial office locations throughout North America.